Friday, November 25, 2011

Delaware Raritan Canal 5 Mile Lock - Ten Mile Lock


View Delaware Raritan Canal -5 Mile Lock - 10 Mile Lock in a larger map


What a great day, 65 degrees and sunny on the  day after Thanksgiving.  In an effort to work off some of the excess food from yesterday, it was a great opportunity to get out and do some exercise. 
I had planned to paddle in the Raritan River, but with even more rain falling in the area this week, the river was running very fast and I would have been hard pressed to make much headway upstream, so I went a little further up stream until I found a place to launch in the canal. There is a small car park by the 5 mile lock and an easy spot to put in.
5 Mile Lock

Car Park at Lock 
The paddle was pleasant, but somewhat uneventful, with only a few ducks, Canada Geese and a few painted turtles in evidence. 



 Went under a couple or movable bridges and had to portage around a lock (South Bound Brook Lock) a little way up. 


I turned around at 10 Mile lock, but jumped out to look at the Raritan, which i heard roaring  adjacent to my position. 
It was  Island Weir, Bridgewater, just downstream of the confluence of the Raritan and Millstone Rivers, that was making all the noise .


I turned around here and headed back to the car. Another great day in beautiful new Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment