Saturday, September 29, 2012

Housatonic River (Milford CT)


View Housatonic River Milford CT September 29th 201R in a larger map

This was my first paddle in this area, although I have been on the Housatonic much further upriver ( Falls Village CT and Pittsfield MA) on separate occasions. I put in at Caswell St  and paddled up on the rising tide. It was a grey, overcast day, but the winds were light and there was little boat traffic. There were quite a number of people fishing at Caswell Street, not to mention any number of cats hanging around. 





There was marshland on the eastern shore and mostly woods on the west with some pretty fancy houses here and there on the banks. The leaves are just beginning to turn; it should be very pretty in a week two.

The Sikorsky Helicopter Plant was noisy , much chopper traffic and what I imagine was testing going on. One helicopter was hovering over the pad for at least 30 minutes. A tad noisy for my liking, but interesting. 





Beacon Marine



I95 Bridge Milford




I turned around after about 1 hour and 45 minutes and came back in the falling tide, which was moving fairly well. - A perfectly timed paddle and only 70 minutes from home. 
I might make the Housatonic southern sections my winter paddling project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment