Monday, October 11, 2010

Connecticut Paddling





This Columbus Day weekend, we discovered the wonderful state that is Connecticut.
I had no idea that there were so many forests, lakes , rivers and ponds to explore. We stayed on spec near Farmington, in the Hampton Inn and Suites Hotel.

It was a pretty new place, and the room was roomy and very comfy. Started having a very quick paddle Saturday morning on my way to Collinsville to see the Collinsville Canoe and Kayak Store.



Put in on the Route 4 Bridge at Unionville. The river was pretty low, but there was a channel running . There were rapids both up and down stream, but as I only had 4o minutes to kill, it was a swift but enjoyable paddle.

I out in in the parking lot on the first left after crossing the bridge from the east - going west.
It was a steep, but doable launch.



The main event was leaving my paddle behind, something I did not discover until the next day - to my horror!


Headed to the Collinsville Kayak, where the people could not have been more helpful. After local knowledge about locations for my next day's paddle and knowledgeable info about winter paddling.
I managed to outfit myself for winter...Yay! . Also decided on Hamburg Cove for tomorrow's paddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment