Saturday, October 2, 2010

Wallkill River (New Paltz to Covered Bridge (Rt 32 / I 87)







A great sunny fall day. There has been about 7 inches of rain this week, so the Wallkill was running very high 6.95 feel at Gardiner Gauging Station.
Put in at New Paltz (Sojourner Truth park launch).







I was going to have a taxi ferry me back from the take out point about 7 miles away, but I met some other kayakers, who decided to take out at the same place, and were happy to bring my back from the take out point, leaving my car and theirs downriver.






Left at 12:30, crossed under the railway bridge at 1:10 and reached the take out at 3:30.





The was a good flow, which resulted in me floating for the last hour, reading and taking photos on the way down. Saw a large murder of crows, the ubiquitous great blue heron and a flash of a kingfisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment