Saturday, December 17, 2011

Catskill Creek December 17th 2011


View


My original plan for the weekend was to go skiing, but with very little snowfall and a room already booked, I put the kayak in the truck and headed up the Hudson. I stayed at a B and B called the Bavarian Manor. This was within easy striking distance of both Windham and Hunter Mountains and the Catskill Creek and Hudson River.



Bavarian Manor Country Inn

Main Street Catskill

From the boat ramp looking north to Rip van Winkle Bridge  (Hudson River) 

It was a cold day, about 6 below (degrees C), and a stiff wind blowing from the north.Stan at the Manor told me about a put in on the creek at the high school, but I finished up putting in at Dutchman's landing on the Hudson and paddling around the point and into the creek.
Audubon Sanctuary - Tributary of Catskill Creek

Beaver dam in sactuary

One of the several marinas on the Catskill 




The boat ramp at the high school . (see map) 

Remnant debris from Hurricane Irene. The river rose 20 feet. Major damage ensued.

From Catskill Creek, looking east towards the Hudson, where a barge was passing 


Originally I planned this weekend as a ski trip, but there has been no snow to speak of. While I was in the area, I checked out Mt Windham. Their snow making machines have been going full bore, and decent snow was evident on the slopes.

Strangely ( or maybe not) my desire to ski was not  stoked by this visit. I think I am becoming anti-social- the idea of joining the throngs of people on the slopes left me totally uninspired. I think I will try out cross country this year. Some place  a little less crowded seems far more appealing.


Cute baby goat

 I drove past a great farm; goats and geese abounding. Two herding dogs,  maremmas?, were woofing at my intrusion ( I was on the roadside.).




Another great day out :-) 









No comments:

Post a Comment