Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lower Esopus Creek - Saugerties NY Dec 18th 2011


View Esopus Creek- Saugerties NY Dec 18th 2011 in a larger map


On may way home from the Catskills I stopped for a very quick paddle to check out Esopus Creek in Saugerties.  It is a substantial creek, and definitely worthy of a longer paddle. It was literally freezing  cold. Foolishly I left my kayak boots in the kayak overnight, and when I went to put them on at the launch in the morning the feet (which must have been wet last night) were frozen. I could not get my feet in them.  Fortunately there was a beach which made the launch easy enough in my sneakers.  I put my boots on the  deck so they would thaw,hopefully in time to get out on my return.  The few splashes of water that fell onto my pants turned to ice in minutes. 


Beach where I launched  

Boat ramp adjacent to beach

Esopus Creek 

Esopus Creek 

Bridge in Saugerties

Once again I find a dam with no warning signs at all ; this one  was very high. Fortunately, I had checked Google satellite pics, so I knew it was there, but I can't help thinking it is very dangerous. I am also aware of the nature of the straight line horizon on the water indicating a dam ahead.

I was able to get one kayak boot on half way when I returned- enough to step out of the boat without getting wet feet. Will not make that mistake again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment