Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bear Mountain NY (from the archive June 2010)

Put in at Bear Mountain after driving around trying find the launch by  following  the worst map known to humankind (courtesy of the Bear Mountain Park Visitor's Center) . When I finally did find it, I discovered it was not a boat ramp as I had hoped, but a dock. Access was complicated by the fact that one had to drag the kayak down a fairly steep and winding path and then under a railway line before getting to the pier and dock -  all part of the fun.
The wind was calm, but forecast to rise, so I had planned to paddle around Iona Island, where the bird sanctuary is. Seeing a sign prohibiting entry to this area under the railway bridge  I did my civic duty and refrained from entering. 
I figured I would see plenty of birds by paddling around the river side of the island, which I did.
There was not much distance  to this paddle , so I turned and headed upriver under the Bear Mountain Bridge.                                                                                          Around Iona Island 
By this time the wind had picked up a little and the Hudson was becoming a little choppy.  
The Hudson chop
  I paddled under the bridge and noticed a small creek running into the river. It went under a bridge and the foliage became more dense.  Paddling on I was delighted to find a beautiful creek, enging not far along with a waterfall. The scene was idyllic; no one else around, a hot day and fresh water spilling over a substantial rock wall into a rocky pool. There was nothing for it but to stop and have lunch and a swim. It was one of those surprise finds which  make the life of a kayaker so wonderful.








Checking Googlemaps on my phone, I found  the creek was known as Popolpen Creek. Definitely worth a return trip when the weather warms up again. 




Looking back towards the Hudson from Popoplen Creek 



Heading back to the dock I saw this huge stag head sculpture  neatly camouflaged on the bank. Another little gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment