Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hackensack River NJ Fairleigh Dickinson University to New Bridge Rd. (From the Archives July 5th )


View Hackensack River in a larger map
 This was my first paddle on the Hackensack River . It was a curious mix of a very urban environment and  considerable river vegetation.
I put in at the Fairleigh Dickinson University, having missed the road into Johnson Park .
The put in 


I went down river a very short distance,  wanting to paddle upriver on the rising tide and turn around at high tide.


















I paddled up river, passing under the Route Four bridge. I didn't really realize that I knew where I was until I spotted the Saks sign plastered on a wall rising up behind the reeds. 


























Past the Mall, there was a creek  on the western side. I went up here for a surprising distance. Lots of commercial activity on the banks, but again, a great deal of vegetation for such an urban area. 




Some type of Solanum I guess.






Back on the river  I continued upriver , at some point( I seem to have forgotten exactly where) I passed under this bridge with a turning mechanism.



I noted something in the reeds, and paddled over, thinking there was a dead bird of some sort. It was a bird, but it was of the plastic flamingo variety. 

It seemed way too good to pass up. I saved it from its ignominious state, and it now resides in  our apartment , gracing our 'garden '. 






Great to see some riverside sculpture, especially  the back view with the homeland displayed so well. Sadly Tasmania is missing, but its still a good rendering.


After about 4 hours on the river, I reached the put in and  I loaded up the kayak with my trophy firmly in hand. 


Having noted that I was so close to the Riverside Mall, there was an added bonus , as I stopped to pick up food for our dinner. A fitting end to a great day's paddling 



No comments:

Post a Comment