Saturday, November 13, 2010

New York Harbour - Upper Bay Statue of Liberty


View Liberty State Park Boat Ramp in a larger map






Launched at Liberty State Park at 9:55.  A perfect day, very light breeze, tide rising, warm ( 14C / 57F) and sunny. The only thing to be watching out for was wakes and associated waves. 
Liberty State Park is  well worth a look and I would like to go back with my bike to check it out more thoroughly.


Ellis Island, backed by Battery Park - Southern Manhattan  

The boat ramp was a good launch, but I noted as I returned , that there was a beach of sorts much closer to the bay, from which I could have launched. Where I did put in was however no trouble , just a tiny bit further to paddle. 


There was a great deal of large vessel traffic out in the bay, but none of it was close. The swell and waves produced by them were constantly around me and at times there were waves around 2 feet. 
A sea kayak would have been ideal under these conditions. My Old Town kayak was not really designed for these conditions

Last of the leaves- just north of Port Liberte 


                                             Canada Geese in flight 
Port Liberte Community  
The city reflected in the windows of the ...Golf Club (?)

I poked around a small inlet behind the Port Liberte Community, where I saw large numbers of Canada Geese and a family of Buffleheads.
I returned to the boat ramp at 11:50. It was a short hit out, but most enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment