Saturday, November 27, 2010

Raritan River NJ Sayreville - to I95 November 21st 2010


View Raritan River Sayreville - I95 and back in a larger map


I went out last weekend to The Raritan River- Put in Sayreville ( A good boat ramp – all tides) and paddled upstream, returning at the turn of the tide. It was not the most scenic trip, but there were few areas of interest. Many marshes and good bird habitat although the river is very polluted, but improving . Great info about the river including very useful put in and hazard info see the Raritan Riverkeeper site
http://www.nynjbaykeeper.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=70

It was useful to have my Googlemaps and GPS on my phone as the river turns around quite sharply and with the connecting tributaries, it would have been easy to go awry.
I spotted a lost whitewater kayak beached along the way- A Dagger brand – Possibly someone went over one of the dam, as there is not a lot of white water upriver (I think). It was in pretty good condition. I would have taken it home if it was not for the fact that I live in an apartment and storing one kayak is hard enough.
Turned around at Lawrence Brook by I 95 .
I plan to explore this river over the winter, so this was a good start. It will only get more scenic I’m sure.
Photos to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment